Thursday, March 11, 2010

Kalamazoo's Hispanic Community


I have had several points of contact with the growing Hispanic community in Kalamazoo -- a community that greatly adds to the richness of our town!

About ten years ago I worked closely with four classes of bilingual students at Loy Norrix High School, the vast majority of them Hispanic with a wide range of assimilation and language fluency. One of our projects was to try to encourage the high school to incorporate some Hispanic American literature into their language arts curriculum. At the time there was none! And, yet, the drop out rate for Latino students at the high school was greatly disturbing. (Of 150 Latino students, two-three per year were graduating.) We signed petitions, met with teachers, met with the principal, and even had a tense meeting with the KPS superintendent. In the end the school agreed to adopt The House on Mango Street as a required text in ninth grade! The students were ecstatic. At this point, however, I think the book mainly sits on the book room shelf...

I also have a connection with the community through a man who has worked for me doing remodeling work on two houses I have had for four years, sometimes months at a time. Since I speak Spanish I have been able to help him with many legal documents and negotiations with other employers. He and I have spent many hours working together, and I have learned a great deal about his life here. He is a person of great integrity and ability, yet his situation is difficult, at times desperate.

I also thoroughly enjoy the authentic Hispanic stores, bakeries, restaurants, dancing and music that having this community in Kalamazoo brings us. I hope all of you get a chance to learn more about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment